top of page

Time Left Till AP Physics 1 Official Exam:

.....General Information Regarding Exam

There are two sections on the AP Physics 1 Exam. Section 1 is the multiple choice section while section 2 is the free response section. 

 

  • Section 1: Multiple Choice Section

    • 50 MCQ in 90 minutes​

  • Section 2: Free Response Section

    • 5 FRQ in 90 minutes​

       On the AP Physics 1 exam, most people struggle to pace themselves on the sections. Make sure to skip a problem if you are unable to solve it. Remember that from the 5 free response questions, 2 will be long ones which is why the College Board allocates 25 minutes for both of them and 13 minutes for each of the remaining 3.

Productive preparation for a 5

Some resources can help you prepare faster than others since they come straight to the point are designed to maximize your chance of getting a 5 on the AP exam. The book on the right was made by Ritvik Rustagi, founder of TMAS Academy. 

It contains over 150 pages and hundreds of questions to help you prepare for the AP exam. All problems also have detailed solutions, and are organied by the unit.

AP Physics 1 free book TMAS Academy Ritvik Rustagi
pexels-francesco-ungaro-281260.jpeg
calculator

Guide to Preparing for the AP Exam

AP Physics 1 is a 7 unit course that involves more problem solving compared to other courses. Please use the 10-90 rule. The 10-90 rule is something that TMAS Academy believes in for courses that invlve problem solving. It means that you should allocate 10% of your time learning the theory properly, and the remaining 90% practicing. At the end of the day, physics comes down to the amount of time you dedicate to trying different, challenging problems.

book

For students taking this course in a proper classroom setting, make sure to listen to the teacher and follow along the course as your teacher covers the material. Taking this course in a classroom setting already puts you above students that are self studying. Some popular books used in a classroom setting include the following books below. I highly recommend students that are self-studying the course to choose from one of the books below.

For students self-studying, choose a textbook from the slideshow above. It's different from the review textbooks in terms of gaining depth for the content. Some students are able to prepare for the exam solely through the review textbooks, but others need to use in-depth textbooks to gain a rich understanding of the topic. After you have chosen a book, make sure to pace yourself so you can finish the course on time. Try to allocate time properly for each of the 7 units so you have enough time to not only learn the theory but practice. Make sure to practice official free response questions as you use that book. You can find many free response questions in TMAS Academy's AP Physics 1 book.

Unit #
Topics
Weightage on Exam
Sequences
and Series
Unit 10: Infinite
Sequences
and Series
Unit 10: Infinite
Sequences
and Series
Unit 10: Infinite
and Series
Sequences
Unit 10: Infinite
Unit 10: Infinite
Sequences
and Series
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
oo
o
o
o
oo
o
o
o
o
o
o
Unit 1: Limits and Continuity
  • What is a limit?

  • Approximating limits with tables, graphs, or functions

  • Does a limit exist at a point?

  • Properties of Limits

  • Squeeze Theorem

  • Types of Discontinuity

  • Limits at Infinity

  • Intermediate Value Theorem

Unit 2: Differentiation: Definition and Fundamental Properties
Unit 3: Differentiation: Composite, Implicit, and Inverse Functions
Unit 4: Contextual Applications of Differentiation
Unit 5: Analytical Applications of Differentiation
Unit 6: Integration and Accumulation of Change
"Unit 7: Differential Equations"
Unit 8: Applications of Integration
Unit 9: Parametric Equations, Polar Coordinates, and Vector-Valued Functions
Unit 10: Infinite Sequences and Series

Unit 1: Kinematics

Unit 2: Dynamics
 

Unit 3: Circular Motion and Gravitation

Unit 4: Energy

Unit 5: Momentum

Unit 6: Simple Harmonic Motion

Unit 7: Torque and Rotational Motion

  • Vectors vs. scalars

  • Distance vs. displacement

  • Speed vs. velocity

  • Position, velocity, acceleration

  • Graphs (Ex: Position vs. time, velocity vs. time, etc)

  • Kinematics Equations

  • Projectile Motion

  • Systems

  • Contact vs field forces

  • Gravitational field

  • Newton's 3 Laws

  • Free-Body Diagrams

  • Applying Newton's second law to free-body diagrams

  • Uniform Circular Motion

  • Centripetal Force

  • Centripetal Acceleration

  • Universal Law of Gravitation